Monday, April 5, 2010

I'm A Temple?

"Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you?" - 1 Cor. 3:16 (ESV)

How often have I heard people refer to the church building as God's house? A lot.  In fact, you may be a person who is reading this who does that very same thing.  However, is it true? I read this out of 1 Cor. 3 and see that God's temple is me.  God's temple is in believers - that the Spirit of God dwells in those who follow Jesus.  In other words: God's Spirit is in The Church.  What I mean by Church is not the buildings that Christians worship in.  Rather, when I speak of The Church, I am speaking of the body of believers across this planet who call on Jesus as their Lord and Savior.

So here's what hit me: God's Spirit is inside of me.  How often do I live my life as if this were NOT true? How often am I making decisions without keeping this truth in the forefront of my mind? How often am I caving to temptations in the name of, "I can't help it"? Look at what Jesus tells his disciples in the book of Acts about what accompanies the indwelling of the Holy Spirit: "But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you..." (Acts 1:8a; ESV). POWER!!! God enables.  God empowers.  God sustains, guides, and cares.

Are you living as one who has the Spirit of God in you? Am I? If you see the church building as God's house you're probably missing the working of God's Spirit in your life.  My body is God's dwelling place.  You too, if you have Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment