Tuesday, April 13, 2010

When Tempted, Look For the Escape Hatch

"No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man.  God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it." - 1 Corinthians 10:13

Here are the things that stood out as I read this this morning:

  1. Temptation is expected. I remember reading a phrase back in the day that helped me in my battle against legalism.  What is it? Jesus knows that you'll sin more than you think you will.  When I'm tempted, Jesus isn't shocked.  He knows.  He knows when I will be tempted.  He knows what I will be tempted about.  He knows.

  2. Temptation cannot go further than what God desires. The word for temptation can also be translated testing.  In either case, God only allows it to go so far.  Job was tested, but only to a certain point.  Jesus was tempted in the wilderness, but only to a certain point.  We can hold that the same is true for us as well.

  3. I'm not alone. The temptations that I'm facing is not unique to me, but rather common among others.  Isolation is one of the greatest tools that the enemy uses to frustrate and defeat Christians.  If we can accept the fact that we all are tempted, admitting that we struggle with stuff, we would be much better off.

  4. There is an escape hatch. God has provided a way out of every temptation.  We just need to get our eyes off of the temptation and get them back on Jesus.

  5. GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!! No matter what, God is faithful.  He is not asking us to go through all of this by ourselves.  Rather, God wants us to rely on him and see his faithfulness.


Be encouraged: you will be tempted, but God is faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment