Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Are You Good At Multiplication?

Matthew 25:14-30 (you really should read this first)

Do you remember the multiplications tables that you had to make and memorize in elementary school to help you in math? OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'm the husband of a math teacher, so I have so much more respect for math teachers because I know what she goes through to teach math, but I have to admit: I GOT SO TIRED OF THOSE THINGS!!! There.  I feel much better.

Here's the thing though: Jesus expects multiplication.  He expects his followers to work to see others come to him.  He expects every Christian to multiply him/herself.  To sit around "lazily" wait for Jesus to return brings about this response from him:  "You wicked and slothful servant!" Not exactly what someone should long to hear from Jesus.

I can imagine that some of you are getting a little nervous after reading the passage above.  But let me point out something.  Look at this:  "For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property.  To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability" (Matthew 25:14-15, ESV).  God is not out to trick us.  He is not out to see us fail.  Rather, he has called and gifted us to a mission that is beyond ourselves.  And the thing is this: he will call us to do those things that he has enabled us to do.  So honestly, when we are faithful, we can't lose.  I'm not saying that our salvation is based on what we do.  I would never go there (Ephesians 2:8-10).  However, even though we do not work for heaven, our lives will show that we have heaven.

What am I waiting for? What are you waiting for? Time to dust off those multiplication tables again and get to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment