Wednesday, March 17, 2010

We Have No Excuse

And as they were eating, he said, "Truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me." (Matthew 26:21, ESV)

Jesus knew that he would be betrayed.  He knew it, and he knew who would betray him.  So how did he do it? How did he walk with Judas for three years? How did he continue to teach and disciple Judas, his betrayer?

This shows the patient hope that Jesus has.  His betrayer was one of the key 12 that Jesus poured his life into.  He knew it, and yet he kept discipling him.  I personally have never been betrayed to the point of death by a friend (it's pretty obvious since I'M NOT DEAD).  I've been hurt and taken advantage of, but never truly betrayed.  But in those times of being hurt or taken advantage of, I have justified why I am okay no longer having to minister to that person.  It seems like Jesus ministered to Judas up to the very last moment.  How quickly do I give up at the first sign of difficulty or "danger"?

Now realize: Jesus did not let Judas off the hook.  Look at his warning: "The Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born" (Matthew 26:24, ESV). However, Jesus gave him that as a warning of what he was about to do.

So what excuse do I have? What excuse do you have? If it is not more than being betrayed to a cross for death by one of your closest friends, our excuses mean nothing.  May we strive to minister to others like Jesus did (and still does).

No comments:

Post a Comment