Sunday, June 3, 2012

My Opinions: Pointless



"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ,..." — 2 Corinthians 10:5, ESV


o-pin-ion (n)
a view or judgement formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge.

  • the beliefs or views of a large number or majority of people about a particular thing.
  • an estimation of the quality or worth of someone or something.
  • a formal statement of advice by an expert on a professional matter.

We are quick to listen to the opinions of experts on every area of life. We use them to back up our opinions of things. We read their articles. We study their books, trying to figure out how they think so that our opinions are strengthened, able to stand against any attack that may be thrown at us (listen to sports talk radio and see if this isn't the case).

However, after spending my time this morning with the Holy Spirit in 2 Corinthians 10:5, I had to ask myself this question: do my opinions even matter? Does it matter what I believe about certain things or does it only matter what God believes about certain things?

The truth of the matter is this: I don't know everything (some are shocked to hear this, I know). I don't know everything. In fact, I am broken and unable to hold the correct truth on everything based upon my own limited knowledge, understanding, or abilities. It's impossible for me to hold the correct view on everything there is to know based upon my personal opinions.

Because of this, I must gain perspective and listen to the teachings of the one who has all truth on matters that pertain to life, death, and everything before, during, and after those events. And yes: this one that I am speaking of is God.

So, my responsibility is to destroy every argument and every lofty opinion that is raised against the knowledge of God — against what he has deemed as truth about himself and life. So I begin to look at "my" opinions and make them stand against the truthful revelation of God. Anything that does not agree with God's revelation of truth must go, because my broken opinions can never be more truthful than the one who holds all truth. I must start with Jesus and the truth that he is, has, and shares. 

So I take every thought captive and make it obedient to Christ. Why? To win in a debate? No. In fact, the scary thing is that so many people take 2 Corinthians 10:5 as a verse to go and slap people around who have different opinions without first starting with themselves, applying every part of this verse personally. I must start with me and my thoughts, for I cannot take the thoughts of anyone else captive and make them obedient to Christ. I can only do that for myself. I start with me, submitting to Christ's Lordship and his omniscience in all things, destroying all opinions and arguments that are against God's truth, and taking every thought captive to make it obey Jesus. Then, I go and share the truths that God reveals to me with others with the desire to see them enter into a relationship with him through Jesus so that they too can learn and apply truth that he reveals to them.

Now some may read this and say, "You are starting with an opinion that Jesus is omniscient." To that, I am guilty, but only because I hold to the truth of Scripture — a source outside of myself. "So you have skipped a step here." And philosophically I'm sure that I have. But when I encountered Christ, everything changed (read Isaiah 6:1-8 and Job 42:5-6). So the revelation of truth does begin with the revelation of Christ. It comes back to a relationship with Christ, and this relationship changes everything.

But of course, this is my opinion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment