Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Better Than Our Dreams

"Let not the foreigner who has joined himself to the LORD say, 'The LORD will surely separate me from his people'; and let not the eunuch say, 'Behold, I am a dry tree.' For thus says the LORD: 'To the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths, who choose the things that please me and hold fast my covenant, I will give in my house and within my walls a monument and a name better than sons and daughters; I will give them an everlasting name that shall not be cut off.'" — Isaiah 56:3-5, ESV


How much of who I see myself to be is connected to what others think about me? Or how much of who I see myself to be is built around the circumstances that I am currently enduring? Here's the truth of the matter: who I am is not based on the circumstances that I am currently going through, but rather is found in the opinion of the God who is over my circumstances.

A eunuch (from the passage above) would be unable to have children because of that fact that he had suffered castration. So children and a family of his own would not be a possibility. Having his name carried on after him would not happen. However, God comes in to share with the eunuch who kept his Sabbaths and chose to do the things that pleased God (in other words, who was in covenant relationship with God), the following promise:

1. A monument within the walls of God's house
2. An everlasting name

But here is the amazing part of what God was promising him: it was better than sons and daughters... That thing that he would have felt deprived of, that thing which God even knew was a tough subject for him, God said that the monument and everlasting name he would give him would be better than that thing that he always wanted.

God meets us where we are, with whatever baggage we have or circumstances that we have to face, and promises even better things than the unmet dreams that we would always have but might never experience. He promises better things—even better than our dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment