Monday, November 7, 2011

God's Mercy Is That Good


"Answer me, O LORD, for your steadfast love is good; according to your abundant mercy, turn to me." — Psalm 69:16, ESV

Do you ever find yourself living in a constant state of expectation? Let me explain further. I am not talking about expecting God to do great things were expecting God to do even more than you have seen him do before. I believe that God still loves to show off. What I am talking about is an attitude where we expect God to pay attention to us because of who we are, a “spoiled” mentality and demeanor based on who we think we are rather than who we know God to be.

A few days ago I was reading through Psalm 69 and this verse popped out at me. It was as if the Holy Spirit was trying to get my attention, reminding me about the necessity of the mercy of God for every single aspect of my life. As David wrote this song, he knew that God would turn to him as he prayed to him, but it was according to the mercy of God, not the right that he thought that he had because of the relationship that he enjoyed with the Creator. That means that as I pray to God, he “turns” to me not because of me. Rather, he turns to me because of his great mercy. I don't deserve him. I don't deserve his attention or affection, but I have it. And it's because of his mercy.

So yes, it is the mercy of God that causes God to turn to us in our time of need. But here is the amazing thing about the mercy of God: it never ends. Jeremiah worded it this way: “The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22-23, ESV).

It all comes down to God's mercy: the unceasing and never-ending mercies of God. God is so good.

1 comment:

  1. Humbling insight, brother. Thank you. Praise be to God for revealing this to you.

    ReplyDelete