Friday, September 23, 2011

You Will Find What You Seek After


I sought the LORD, and he answer me and delivered me from all my fears. — Psalm 34:4 (ESV)

It takes effort. It takes effort to follow Jesus. It takes effort on our part to grow in intimacy and relationship with our Savior. It is not about merely praying a prayer and then expecting God to do everything else while we sit back and do nothing. David is very clear in this verse. He told us that he sought the Lord and that God answered. He sought the Lord and God responded. So I'm thinking that the opposite can be said: if he had not sought the Lord, then God would not have answered and would not have responded. But look at the verse again: he sought God and God responded.

Are you experiencing God's response? It blows my mind that, first, God would even allow us to approach him with anything. But it blows my mind even more to know that God will respond to me when I seek after him. But I have to seek. You have to seek. He even gives this promise to the prophet Jeremiah to share with the people of Israel when he says, “then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all of your heart. I will be found by you, declares the Lord,…” (Jeremiah 29:12-14a).

So if you are seeking after God, you can be sure that he will and is responding. However, if you are not seeking after God, then you cannot blame him for not “showing up” whenever you feel like he should. It is about a relationship with God, not a relationship with the waiter.

No comments:

Post a Comment