Thursday, September 15, 2011

God Still Speaks...


“These are the words of God, the God of Israel, to you, Baruch." - Jeremiah 45:2, ESV

I remember reading this verse and it struck me. It is probably something that we overlook so very often when reading the Bible, but it stood out to me in such a strong way that I believe that it was God reminding me of this simple, yet profound, truth: God still speaks to me, personally. God still speaks to you, personally.

Look at the verse again. This was something that God wanted to pass on to one individual. Throughout most of the book of Jeremiah, God spends most of his time passing along his message to the people of Israel through his prophet, Jeremiah. It was a message for all of the people to repent and turn back to God. However, in this one verse, God has a specific message for one person: Baruch.

Please understand me when I say this: God is still in the habit of speaking personally to his people by his Holy Spirit who lives in each follower of Christ. God has specific messages for specific people and has not turned mute just because he finished writing his Bible. However, I am convinced, that God gave us the Bible as a way for us to decipher his voice from all of the other “voices” that cross our minds. The Bible is the filter by which we decipher and discern every thought to make sure that we are in line with God's will. But, do not miss out on the personal conversations that God is desiring to have with you because of your unwillingness to listen to his personal message for you.

As I said before, I read this verse and was immediately convicted, encouraged, and excited about the fact that God:

1). Sees me as an individual within a community, and
2). God wants to speak to me personally.

Oh how I pray that you, too, are blown away by the fact that the God of the universe is passionately personal with you. Be blessed.

God,
Speak, for your servant is listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment