Friday, March 11, 2011

Misery Brings Comfort

"Save me, O God! For the waters have come up to my neck." - Psalm 69:1, ESV


Actually, if you're reading this, read all of Psalm 69.  It is absolutely incredible! And the reason is this: David is hurting and he admits it. I needed to read this passage this morning.  I feel the pressure of life and ministry,  I sense the enemy's unrelenting attacks.  I feel my flesh desiring things that are not of Jesus.  I'm tired.  I'm discouraged.  I'm overwhelmed.

I prayed this morning for God to deliver me from the junk I'm facing.  I prayed that he would just tell me what he wanted me to do.  And then I read Psalm 69.  And here's one of the major reasons why I was so encouraged: David was given the "title" by God himself as a "man after God's own heart."  Here is a man after God's own heart who is going through a really tough time.

I needed to hear this.  I needed to read this.  I needed to be reminded that those who are truly after God's own heart will have times of fatigue and strain during the battle.  I'm so thankful that God kept those parts in the Bible that reveal just that.

The truth is: I'm still beat up.  I'm still tired.  But there is just something twisted about the fact that David's misery brought me a lot of comfort this morning.  Sick, I know. :)

2 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to imagine the weight you sometimes bare . . .I know many of us seek your wisedom and your answers and that is more overwhelming then I can even imagine. Thank you for this post and above all else, thank you for admitting that in one minute your heart feels fatigued and strained but in the next you are able to bounce back because of your faith in the Lord. That makes you the approachable leader that you are and someone I want to follow. *Adrienne Ewers*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Adrienne. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete