Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Who am I? [Part 3]

Tychicus will tell you all about my activities.  He is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. — Colossians 4:7


FELLOW SERVANT
I am a prideful man.  It is so easy for me to actually walk around with an attitude of superiority.  Think about it: I'm a pastor.  WOW! I mean, I am Jesus Jr in the flesh.  And that's a horrible place to think that I am.

In all honestly, God has to constantly humble and humiliate me to remind me that I'm JUST BRIAN (remember Paul's confession of this 2 Corinthians 12:7-10).  I'm not above anyone else.  I'm not superior to anyone else.  I am a fellow servant.  Here's what it means to me:

FELLOW - Just like everyone else.  I have a specific call on my life, given to me by Jesus.  The thing is this: so does every single Christian on the planet.  My call is no greater or less than anyone else's call.  The value of the call is not found in the activity that is connected to the call but rather the fact that I am called by Jesus for something.  The value of my call is found in the value of the one who calls me to it.  And the same can be said of every single follower of Jesus.

SERVANT - When it comes down to it, I'm a servant of Jesus.  I don't sit in some plush position with a sweet office and special perks that come with the gold membership.  I am a servant of the King of the universe.  Jesus is the one who is to be noticed.  Jesus is the one who is to be exalted.  Jesus is the one that people actually need to see.  My job: do whatever is necessary to give them a perfect view of the Son of God.  And honestly, the best way to give them the best view of Jesus is to get out of the way.

2 comments:

  1. Good Reminder. I think sometimes we all need a reality check. Recently I was trying answer a Bible Study question that asked about what kinds of sins do I think I'm hiding. I had to really think about it and when I couldn't come up with anything...I asked God (Go figure). It didn't take long for things to come to mind. But the one that I think really hit me hard was when He said, You treat Christians better than the ones who aren't. That hurt but I had to admit its true. The sad thing is, God didn't really call me to reach those who already belong to Him. He wants us to reach the lost. It was humbling but I'm glad He got my attention. I want people to see Jesus when they see me...not high and lofty because I belong to Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this quote that smacked me upside my head: "We can never allow church to become a place where we obsess with keeping the 'rescuers' happy, thus neglecting the very ones that need to be rescued." - Perry Noble. :)

    ReplyDelete