Monday, December 6, 2010

Who am I? [PART 1]

Tychicus will tell you all about my activities.  He is a beloved brother and faithful minister and fellow servant in the Lord. — Colossians 4:7, ESV


A BELOVED BROTHER...
Before I am a pastor I am a brother.  The NIV translates it as, "He is a dear brother..."  Tychicus was loved.  He was not just a hired gun to go and do his work.  Rather, he was a dearly loved member of the family.  He belonged to a group that valued and loved him.

Isn't it crazy how we want so very much to belong.  We want to have a place where "everybody knows your name" (shout-out for all you "Cheers" fans).  Why? Because we want to feel valued.  We want to know that this world would actually be a lot different if we weren't here.  We want to be part of something greater than ourselves.

Understand this: if you're a follower of Jesus, you are a dearly loved member of the family.  I needed to be reminded this morning that I am first and foremost not a pastor but a brother.  I am first and foremost a member of God's family, not just a worker for his family.  And I am valuable.  How can I know this? The cross is God's evidence of the value that I have in his eyes.  The transaction of eternity was paid for with the precious blood of Jesus.  I am the beloved of God.  I am a dearly loved brother in God's family.

If you're wondering who you are, start with the fact that you are dearly loved.  Not only that, you're family.  Olive Garden ("When you're here, you're family") has nothing on the church when we actually live as if we're family.

No comments:

Post a Comment