Monday, December 20, 2010

My Reputation

"After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses' assitant, 'Moses my servant is dead...'" — Joshua 1:1, ESV


What's my reputation? I know that as some read this they will say, "It doesn't matter what people think about you.  It all comes down to what Jesus thinks about you."  I agree, to an extent.  Look at the reputation that Moses had according to the writer of the book of Joshua: the servant of the LORD.  Then look at what God himself says about Moses: my servant.  The reputations lined up perfectly.  But just because they line up perfectly does not mean that I lived a life for Jesus.  If I claim Christ while being a jerk, both God and others will say that I was a jerk and in no way is that honoring to Jesus.

To God, Moses was his servant.  And when you look at Moses' life and leadership, he truly was a servant of God.  He lived his life in such a way that God knew that Moses was about him.  To the people, Moses was a servant of God.  The people saw Moses living in such a way that his service to God could not be separated from his person.  They lined up perfectly.  And I can only imagine that with 2 million people under Moses' leadership there were many that did not like him —always finding ways to critique every step that he took.  But nonetheless, no one could argue over the fact that Moses was God's man.

I pray that I would be able to live my life so that others know what I'm about, that God states it for ages to come that I was about him, and that I truly was a faithful disciple of Jesus.  Oh how I pray that they line up.

3 comments:

  1. Wow that's so true...never thought about how important it is that our reputation on earth should mirror that of our reputation in heaven. I'm going to pray for this as well. -Nicole Dinisi

    ReplyDelete
  2. To say they lined up perfectly, is to say that Mosas wasn't human. Only Jesus alined his will perfectly with His father, because he was both divine and human. Mosas was not. He made mistakes like we all do, and was far from perfect. But he did a good job didn't he.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for responding. About your post I'm not speaking of Moses' nature but rather of his reputation as that human being. Moses was given the title by God as a servant of God. In God's eyes, that was his divine reputation. Moses' nature: sinner, as we all are. And Moses did make mistakes along the way, and yet at the end of his life he is known as a servant of God. So God's idea of Moses was as one of his servants. That is Moses' reputation. I want my reputation on earth to be exactly what God plans for me to have. I don't want to be any different than who God wants me to be. Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete