Thursday, July 22, 2010

You're The God of This City

"Therefore thus says the LORD concerning the king of Assyria: He shall not come into this city or shoot an arrow there or come before it with a shield or cast up a siege mound against it.  By the way that he came, by the same he shall return, and he shall not come into this city, declares the LORD.  For I will defend this city to save it, for my own sake and for the sake of my servant David." — Isaiah 37:33-35 [ESV]

Judah was about to be attacked by the Assyrians.  The king of Assyria sent a message to the people of Judah mocking Hezekiah's leadership and his trust in the LORD.  But then, the king of Assyria sent a message to Hezekiah mocking the LORD.  And when this happens, it does not seem to sit with the LORD.  The above is the promise that God made to Hezekiah through the prophet Isaiah, promising that he himself would be protecting the city.  And he would be protecting the city for his own sake and for that of his servant David (and to see how he backed up what he said he do, read Isaiah 37:36-38).

As I read this passage, I made this prayer: "God, what you have begun in this ministry to the next generation at PFB and in the surrounding community, I pray that you would protect it as you perfect it.  I pray that you yourself will protect what it is that you have started in order that it will become and accomplish what you desire."

God's promise to Hezekiah pumped me up.  It reminded me that what God starts, he finishes.  What he wants he gets.  And honestly: there is not a force on the planet earth or in all of the universe that will stop God's plan.  This truth brings me peace.  This truth brings me back to my inability to truly accomplish anything in and of myself, but rather to cast all of my cares on Jesus, because of the fact that he truly cares for me beyond my ability to comprehend.

God is on the move.  Are you still just sittin' there?

No comments:

Post a Comment