Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Benefit of Belonging

"Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have called you by name, you are mine." - Isaiah 43:1, ESV

Just break this down and be blessed:

1).  Fear not. Don't be afraid.  There is not a lot of benefit to being afraid.  It doesn't seem to be the emotional state that most people seek after in order to continually experience.  And yet, for many, this is the emotion of choice.  And I say of choice because we have a choice.  I'm not speaking of a chemical imbalance that may be occurring in someone's brain (my heart aches for those who much struggle through this).  I'm speaking of the fear that constantly bombards us because of the "what ifs" of life.  So much of our fear comes from the what might happen rather than the what is happening.  But when the "what might happen" actually does invade reality, there is a God in heaven who cries out first thing to us: Don't be afraid.  By why not?

2). For I have redeemed you. I have been bought by Jesus.  I belong to him.  Christian: you belong to the God of the universe.  He paid for you by Christ's sacrifice.  There isn't a payment more precious than that.  This payment, willingly payed, should show you the heart that God has toward you.

3).  I have called you by name. I'll be honest: I am not good at remembering names.  I just am not.  I try.  I meet someone and repeat their name many times while talking to them.  And then the next week, I forget their names.  I'm trying to improve at this because I understand the value that comes to a person whose name I remember.  Rather than just being a person in the crowd, to remember a person's name means that you remember them as a person.  I have been called BY NAME.  God knows my name.  He knows your name.  There are 6.5 billion people on this planet and yet he knows your name.  You are a person, not just a person in the crowd.

4).  You are mine. I belong to Jesus.  This is the truth that stopped me in my tracks this morning.  I BELONG TO JESUS! And what does he think about those who belong to him? "Because you are precious in my eyes, and honored, and I love you" (Isaiah 43:4, ESV). Are you kidding me? I am precious to Jesus.  I am loved and honored by him.  ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE!!!

Be blown away today by the heart that the Father of heaven has toward you.

No comments:

Post a Comment