Wednesday, February 3, 2010

You Wanna Move A Mountain?

"... 'For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.'" - Matthew 17:20-21, ESV

This is one of those passages that is so easy for us Christians to look at and agree so heartily and passionately with and yet never see it happen in our lives.  And for some reason, we are okay with it.  It's weird: I've read that passage over and over and wondered why others just didn't live up to the idea having "mustard seed faith" while thinking the whole while I was moving mountains.  But am I? Am I seeing the impossible becoming very possible because of my faith.  Are you? Are we settling for a faith that keeps us comfortable while making no difference for the Kingdom of Heaven? Are we okay with the idea that every time we take a breath a child somewhere in the world dies because he/she doesn't have enough food? Are we okay with the lost living and dying without a saving knowledge of Jesus? Are we okay with this? But now I'm asking if we're okay with this because actually start wondering, "But what can I do?" Do we really believe that He is able?

The thing is this: WE CAN MOVE STINKIN' MOUNTAINS INTO THE SEA with the faith the size of a mustard seed.  The impossible becomes possible when our trust is in the God who makes the impossible possible (Matthew 19:26Luke 1:37).  If you're the kind of person whose first response to something new is, "It won't work", then don't expect to see the impossible occur.  You've become very content with how things are and what you see going on around you.  How can I say this? Because I've been there (and if I'm really honest, I still visit there often).  However, is it really possible for a disciple of Jesus to be okay with the status quo if the One that we follow never seemed to be okay with it when he walked the earth?

I confess: I  love change, but I like safety.  The only thing: those don't always go together.  If I want to see God do the impossible, then I have to follow when he leads me into impossible situations so that I can see him accomplish the miracle that he promises.

No comments:

Post a Comment